Walking on the Edge

I swear this blog hasn't been neglected. *inserts angel emoji here*

"I'm going under, drowning in you,
I'm falling forever, I've got to break through.
So go on and scream,
Scream at me, I'm so far away,
I won't be broken again."
So much so has been going on and I planned this post to be something about lost souls since my baby has a new single, but instead I'm gonna rant about the hypocrisy around the Straight Edge and Non-Edge people.

First of all what's Straight Edge:
"Straight edge is a subculture originated from hardcore punk whose adherents refrain from using alcohol, tobacco and other recreational drugs. For some, this extends to refraining from engaging in promiscuous sex, following a vegetarian or vegan diet or not using caffeine or prescription drugs. The term straight edge was adopted from the 1981 song "Straight Edge" by the hardcore punk band Minor Threat."
It's a pretty simple concept. Live free. Die free.
Unclouded mind. Unclouded body.
I mean, there's a stigma that people need alcohol and drugs to have a good time, but it's actually not like that. Personally, I've never been a fan of going to parties.
My colleagues used to get wasted before the bus time on Friday and they came smelling like alcohol and passed out on top of me. Luckily never caught anyone throwing up.

Never understood the people who like to throw up.
I mean, I don't like it. Why would anyone want to be poisoned to the point of throwing up?
Okay, point made.

Not criticizing, otherwise I would fall back on the category that I'm going to refer to, on this post.
The concept of live free, die free is: no judgments.
Each takes the path of life that they chose and no one is to criticize (for the lack of better words).
Past mistakes? Gone. It's the ones we make in the future that count.
Do you realize what that means?
In case you don't, it means that if you see someone making a mistake, all you can do is advice them against it. You can't go to the past and say: hey, you've made a mistake, it's going to haunt you for centuries to come.
You'll find out, the others always throw the first rock, if you're in peace with yourself.
Others can't affect you if you stand your ground and are certain of yourself. Because whatever they throw at you, chances are, it's their own insecurities.

This post was triggered because someone I actually cared about came to me yesterday and started badmouthing the fact that I got a job opportunity at a factory that makes ethyl alcohol and other components as such, saying that it would go against me being Straight Edge.
I mean, it's just work. I'm not consuming the alcohol. 
Even if I worked at a McDonald's, I wouldn't be consuming meat. 
Also saw someone on a blog criticizing a boy here in Portugal for being Edge and working at such a food chain.

My family always said that if I ever wanted to drink or smoke I could do it in front of them.
But after having so many bad examples of people misusing drugs, including dying and causing me depression over a night of alcohol and drugs, 13 years ago, I felt like that would be the ultimate disappointment, to myself and others who care for me.



"Should I let you fall, lose it all, so maybe you can remember yourself?"
Cliché much, I know.

But then I discovered the Straight Edge movement over a friend who was a mutual fan of Davey Havok. Pretty soon, I'd have a place to call home, someone to call mentor. Someone to call savior.

, already.

But in recent events and unfortunately more than once, I've had people bringing me down over the fact that I'm hardcore Straight Edge.
One time when I was about 19 or 20, we were at a restaurant with friends from my parents and their two kids.
At a point, they ask me if I want to drink anything specific after dinner, to which I replied nothing. I'm not sure if I drank coffee.
She asked: "Don't you want something else? Like a caipirinha or a liquor?"
I replied that I didn't drink alcohol, she asked why. I said it's part of a movement I was in, which consisted on living the life on the purest way possible.
She asked if that included no sex and I had never really thought about it so I answered no.
They started laughing real badly as if I'd just said a joke and proceeded to order a caipirinha for their 16 year old daughter.
Following the conversation, they started talking about her boyfriend and according to their conversation afterwards, not specific but it made me realize she already did it. I cringed.

It's fine whatever they choose to do with their lives and their kids lives.
But to criticize others and make them feel bad for wanting to live a straightforward life without having their bodies poisoned, I mean. You guys have no moral to speak or whatsoever. 
You literally fall face first on the deadline to death and want the rest to do the same.
That's why if a friend of yours is in rehab, sure the most normal thing you would do is offer a drink after he gets out. Because you're a good friend. He needs it.
That's why if you're feeling low on self-esteem, whatever problems you're in, the most normal thing to do is go find cheap sex and have loads of fun, of course. Because that's totally normal.

The almighty savior.

Personally, I don't mind other people drinking. Not even around me.
The smell of alcohol sickens me, yes. The smell of cigars sickens me, yes.
But each to their own. It's not my place to criticize someone for wanting to destroy themselves.
Do it. Far from me.

So if Edges don't go around pointing their fingers at non-Edges (some do, but those are pricks, reminds me of the KKK part of the movement, which was arrested not long ago), why do the Non-Edges keep poking around us?
That's not fair. But then again, life isn't. 

So please when someone feels comfortable to tell you something about themselves, don't use it against them. No matter how righteous and moralist you think you are, you're not.
Each person. Each choice.

Even if Straight Edge is mostly punk, vegetarian people, there are also others who listen to other types of music, like myself.
However, I'll leave you with the only screamo that I actually like.


"Oh you're so wild. Yeah, you and everyone else.
You want rebellion? Then look to mine.
The purist breed, outcast and dying.
Your toxic life we are defying.
YOU ARE CONFORMIST!"

 Oh I also realized with this trigger:
No matter how similar someone is to someone, they're not them, no matter how much your head can't shake up their differences.
The said person I cared about looked a lot like Bunny. Look at how much disappointment I got all of a sudden.

Have a great week, my moon children. 🌛

Comments

Most read

Separation Anxiety

Inserts Angel Emoji Here

Jealous girlfriends update